S: http://www.parliament.uk/business/committees/committees-a-z/lords-select/hiv-select-committee/news/hiv-and-aids-public-health-minister-questioned/ (last access: 9 September 2013); http://www.aids.org/ (last access: 9 September 2014).
N: 1. AIDS, byname of acquired immunodeficiency syndrome, transmissible disease of the immune system caused by the human immunodeficiency virus (HIV). HIV is a lentivirus (literally meaning “slow virus”; a member of the retrovirus family) that slowly attacks and destroys the immune system, the body’s defense against infection, leaving an individual vulnerable to a variety of other infections and certain malignancies that eventually cause death.
2. An epidemic, transmissible retroviral disease due to infection with human immunodeficiency virus (HIV), manifested in severe cases as profound depression of cell-mediated immunity.
- Adj.: full-blown.
- Quant.: case Six cases of Aids have been reported.
- Verb + Aids: have, suffer from | be/become infected with, contract, develop, get | die of | diagnose.
- Aids + noun: patient, sufferer, victim | virus.
- Phrases: the spread of Aids a worldwide campaign to prevent the spread of Aids.
4. Cultural Interrelation:
- Books: Tell the Wolves I’m Home, novel by Carol Rifka Brunt, And The Band Played on Politics, People, and the AIDS Epidemic (1987), nonfiction book by Randy Shilts.
- Movies: And the Band Played On (1993) by Roger Spottiswoode, Philadelphia (1993) by Jonathan Demme.
S: 1. EncBrit – http://global.britannica.com/EBchecked/topic/10414/AIDS (last access: 29 July 2014). 2. TERMIUM PLUS (last access: 11 June 2015). 3. http://oxforddictionary.so8848.com/search?word=aids (last access: 11 June 2015). 4. http://www.carolrifkabrunt.com/tell-the-wolves-im-home/ (last access: 29 July 2013); http://entertainment.time.com/2011/08/30/all-time-100-best-nonfiction-books/slide/and-the-band-played-on-by-randy-shilts/ (last access: 29 July 2014); FCB.
S: http://oxforddictionary.so8848.com/search?word=aids (last access: 11 June 2015)
SYN: acquired immunodeficiency syndrome, acquired immune deficiency syndrome.
S: GDT (last access: 11 June 2015); TERMIUM PLUS (last access: 11 June 2015).