S: The Guardian – https://www.theguardian.com/money/2017/oct/21/rent-property-letting-agent-fees-government-ban (last access: 9 November 2017); The Telegraph – http://www.telegraph.co.uk/property/landlord-guide/tenant-deposits-need-to-know/ (last access: 9 November 2017).
N: 1. From Anglo-French tenaunt (late 13c.), Old French tenant “possessor; feudal tenant” (12c.), noun use of present participle of tenir “to hold,” from Latin tenere “hold, keep, grasp,” from PIE root *ten- “to stretch.”
2. Two meanings:
- One who has the occupation or temporary possession of lands or tenements of another; specifically :one who rents or leases a dwelling (such as a house) from a landlord.
- One who holds or possesses real estate or sometimes personal property (such as a security) by any kind of right.
- Common Noun Collocations of tenant: life, landlord, death, own, tail, right, farmer, interest, lease, part, case, remainderman, farm, lessee, year, curtesy, possession, example, improvement, name, favour, will, lieu, hand, payment, husband, lord, notice, heir, favor.
- Common Verb Collocations of tenant: be, have, become, pay, require, can, may, survive, hold, shall, give, make, will, belong, serve, remove, do, should, die, bring, must, agree, evict, rent, suffer, entitle, receive, occupy, go, move.
- Common Adjective Collocations of tenant: landlord, common, joint, new, incoming, long, such, first, sub, under, only, mere, righ, good, other, available, outgo, last, original, previous, liable, large, own, former, many, freehold, same, rid, in, life.
4. Cultural Interrelation: We can mention The New Tenants (2009), an Oscar-winning comedic short directed by Joachim Back about a nosy neighbor, a drug dealer and an angry husband who make for a move-in day that two men will never forget. Also worthy of mentioning is The Tenants (2005), a Danny Green-directed drama about an African-American militant writer and a Jewish novelist who develop a friendship while struggling to complete their novels.
S: 1. OED – https://www.etymonline.com/word/tenant (last access: 9 November 2017). 2. MW – https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/dictionary (last access: 9 November 2017). 3. PWA – https://prowritingaid.com/en/Collocation/Dictionary/?word=tenant (last access: 3 November 2017). 4. IMDb – http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1520428/; http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0429173/ (last access: 3 November 2017).