S: UNIFEM – http://www.unifem.org/gender_issues/women_war_peace/gender_based_violence.html (last access: 6 March 2013); EU – http://eige.europa.eu/content/what-is-gender-based-violence (last access: 3 September 2014).
N: 1. Gender-based violence (GBV) is violence that is directed against a person on the basis of gender. It constitutes a breach of the fundamental right to life, liberty, security, dignity, equality between women and men, non-discrimination and physical and mental integrity.
2. Gender-based violence reflects and reinforces inequalities between men and women.
3. Gender-based violence and violence against women are often used interchangeably as most gender-based violence is inflicted by men on women and girls. It is estimated that 20 to 25% of women in Europe have suffered physical violence. The number of women who have suffered from other forms of gender-based violence is much higher.
4. Gender-Based Violence: Violence that is directed against a person on the basis of gender or sex. It includes acts that inflict physical, mental, or sexual harm or suffering, threats of such acts, coercion, or other deprivations of liberty. While women, men, boys and girls can be victims of gender-based violence, because of their subordinate status, women and girls are the primary victims. (OCHA).
5. (The violence resulting from the) targeting of individuals for a crime or violent act based on their gender, or their failure to fit into society’s definition of masculinity or femininity.
6. Violence that is influenced by socially sanctioned constructs of gender.
7. (Includes) rape, wife battering, sexual harassment, incest and paedophilia.
8. Cultural Interrelation: Sleeping with the enemy (1991), novel by Nancy Price, and movie adaptation by Joseph Ruben, among others.
S: 1 to 3. EU – http://eige.europa.eu/content/what-is-gender-based-violence (last access: 3 September 2014). 4. GLOSS RW – https://bit.ly/2ITCinf (last access: 18 October 2015). 5 to 7. TERMIUM PLUS – https://bit.ly/2GwvrgE (last access: 25 April 2019). 8. GR – https://bit.ly/2UA8eiM (last access: 7 September 2014).
SYN: gender violence
S: TERMIUM PLUS – https://bit.ly/2GwvrgE (last access: 25 April 2019)