S: TEX – http://www.texasheart.org/HIC/Topics/Meds/blodmeds.cfm (last access: 31 October 2014); NCBI – https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3654192/ (last access: 1 August 2021); NHS – https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/anticoagulants/ (last access: 1 August 2021).
N: 1. adj. “that prevents or retards coagulation,” 1886, from anti– ((word-forming element meaning “against, opposed to, opposite of, instead,” from Old French anti- and directly from Latin anti-, from Greek anti “against, opposite, instead of,” also used as a prefix, from PIE anti- “against,” also “in front of”. It appears in some words in Middle English but was not commonly used in word formations until modern times) + coagulant (1770, from Latin coagulantem, nominative coagulans, present participle of coagulare).
- preventing blood clotting.
- an agent that prevents blood clotting; see anticoagulant therapy.
3. A drug used to prevent the formation of blood clots by hindering coagulation of the blood.
4. Blood-thinners (anticoagulants) have various uses. Some are used for the prophylaxis (prevention) of thromboembolic disorders; others are used for the treatment of thromboembolism. Anticoagulant solutions are also used for the preservation of stored whole blood and blood fractions. Anticoagulants are also used to keep laboratory blood specimens from clotting.
5. Distinctions are made between: 1. Oral anticoagulants – of coumarin type, which inhibit the synthesis of vitamin-K-dependent coagulation factors in the liver – thrombocyte aggregation inhibitors, which exert their effect by inhibiting aggregation of blood platelets. 2. Intravenous or subcutaneous “heparinoid” anticoagulants.
S: 1. OED – https://www.etymonline.com/search?q=anticoagulant (last access: 1 August 2021). 2. DORLAND p. 102. 3 to 5. TERMIUM PLUS – https://www.btb.termiumplus.gc.ca/tpv2alpha/alpha-eng.html?lang=eng&i=1&srchtxt=anticoagulant&codom2nd_wet=1#resultrecs (last access: 1 August 2021).
SYN: anticoagulant agent, blood thinner.
S: TERMIUM PLUS – https://www.btb.termiumplus.gc.ca/tpv2alpha/alpha-eng.html?lang=eng&i=1&srchtxt=anticoagulant&codom2nd_wet=1#resultrecs (last access: 1 August 2021)