N: 1. – operating (adj): From present participle of OPERATE; of, relating to, or used for or in operations. First Known Use: 1728.
– room (n): Middle English, from Old English rūm; akin to Old High German rūm room, Latin rur-, rus open land; an extent of space occupied by or sufficient or available for something; a partitioned part of the inside of a building. First Known Use: before the 12th century.
2. US a room in a hospital where operations are done.
3. The operating room is the single most important place in the hospital for surgeons. Despite enormous innovation in surgical practice, relatively fewer advances have been made to the actual operating room itself. New technology and devices have been introduced to crowd the space, but changes to the actual lay out and how to organize the room remains largely unchanged. Indeed, many of the design shortcoming described by surgeons 4 decades ago—“faults in equipment, inaccessibility of necessary items, problems in communication, inefficient handling of materials, unconscionable delays … that are an expression of a hazardous environment”1—could readily be identified by surgeons today.
4. The problem of building a better operating room is not new and arises largely from knowledge gaps between architects and users of the operating room. Many surgeons and nurses who have been involved in operating room planning and are around to occupy that space afterwards are often disheartened by the gap between their suggestions and the result. The architects, however, are faced with enormous constraints—budgets, regulatory codes, materials limitations—that they cannot or do not communicate well. Revisions made to accommodate these constraints can often make the initial plan unrecognizable leaving care providers wondering why they ever offered their input to begin with.
5. Cultural Interrelation: We can mention the TV movie Operating Room (1978).
S: 1. MW – https://bit.ly/2WiIt8n; https://bit.ly/2GXg9Tx (last access: 2 May 2019). 2. MW – https://bit.ly/2PFVjed (last access: 2 May 2019). 3 & 4. AofS – https://bit.ly/2GWO7HV (last access: 2 May 2019). 5. IMDb – https://imdb.to/2VzXc1z (last access: 2 May 2019).
SYN: OR (US), operating theatre (UK).
S: GDT – https://bit.ly/2Jcg283 (last access: 2 May 2019)