N: 1. – displaced (adj): Past participle from verb to displace: 1550s, from Middle French desplacer (15c.), from des– + placer “to place.” Related: Displaced; displacing. Displaced person “refugee” is from 1944.
– person (n): early 13c., from Old French persone “human being, anyone, person” (12c., Modern French personne) and directly from Latin persona “human being, person, personage; a part in a drama, assumed character,” originally “mask, false face,” such as those of wood or clay worn by the actors in later Roman theater. Oxford English Dictionary offers the general 19c. explanation of persona as “related to” Latin personare “to sound through” (i.e. the mask as something spoken through and perhaps amplifying the voice), “but the long o makes a difficulty ….” Klein and Barnhart say it is possibly borrowed from Etruscan phersu “mask.” Klein goes on to say this is ultimately of Greek origin and compares Persephone.
2. A person who has been forced to flee his or her place of residence to a safer place within or outside his or her country, because of an armed conflict, violence or a natural or man-made disaster.
3. There is no internationally recognized legal definition for a “displaced” individual.
4. Displaced person or internally displaced person? The term “displaced person” may either be a short form for “internally displaced person” or it may be a broader concept that encompasses both externally and internally displaced persons.
5. Cultural Interrelation: We can mention the book The Displaced Person: Short Story (1955), written by Flannery O’Connor and adapted into TV movie The Displaced Person (1977), directed by Glenn Jordan.
S: 1. OED – https://bit.ly/2H5d7Pf; https://bit.ly/2F9gAL3 (last access: 26 April 2017); MW – https://bit.ly/2RhBAp7 (last access: 26 April 2017). 2 to 4. TERMIUM PLUS – http://goo.gl/0bEcIp (last access: 26 April 2017). 5. Amazon – https://amzn.to/2CZMUO0 (last access: 9 January 2019); IMDb – https://imdb.to/2QyI9yD (last access: 9 January 2019).
SYN: displaced individual
S: TERMIUM PLUS – http://goo.gl/0bEcIp (last access: 26 April 2017)