S: VWM – https://www.verywellmind.com/spider-fears-or-arachnophobia-2671679 (last access:17 November 2020); PSY – https://www.psycom.net/arachnophobia-fear-of-spiders (last access:17 November 2020).
N: 1. 1920s; modern Latin ‘arachnophobia’ from Greek arakhnē ‘spider’ and from Greek –phobia– which means ‘extreme or irrational fear or dislike of a specified thing or group’.
2. A phobia of spiders.
3. Specific phobias, such as arachnophobia, tend to develop in childhood. Although there is no single trigger for arachnophobia, there are theories that suggest why it might develop.
Mental health counseling is the most effective way to treat phobias, including arachnophobia. Medications don’t directly treat this condition because it doesn’t help with the underlying issues causing the phobia. However, medications can help treat underlying anxiety.
We can also resort to medication although they won´t treat spider phobias directly. Options include:
- beta blockers
- supplements for anxiety
4. The symptoms of arachnophobia are triggered by seeing a spider or something that indicates spiders are nearby, such as webs or egg sacs. For some, looking at pictures of spiders or hearing someone talk about spiders is enough to trigger symptoms. These symptoms can include:
- Overwhelming fear of being bitten or poisoned by a spider
- Intense anxiety or panic attacks
- Fainting, vomiting or loss of bladder control
- Avoidance of places that are thought to have spiders, like gardens or corners
- Having someone check the room for spiders before entering
- Increased heart rate
- Increased blood pressure.
5. Cultural Interrelation: It is worth mentioning the film Arachnophobia (1990) directed by Frank Marshall.
S: 1. OD- https://languages.oup.com/google-dictionary-en/ (last access:17 November 2020). 2. TERMIUM PLUS- https://n9.cl/bu1k5 (last access:17 November 2020). 3. HLN- https://www.healthline.com/health/mental-health/fear-of-spiders#treatments (last access:17 November 2020). 4. STUDY- https://n9.cl/pdw0 (last access:17 November 2020). 5. IMDB- https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0099052/ (last access: 17 November 2020).